Monday, September 5, 2011

Poopy Eyeball

My plan to engage in toilet talk along side my daughter, thus eliminating the taboo and decreasing the desire to engage in it has TOTALLY BACKFIRED.

When I was in my junior year of high school, I went to Ohio to check out Oberlin College. We stayed with my father’s twin brother, his wife, and their three little girls. Two of them were in or around preschool age. Giggly, curly-haired, silly little girls, they loved toilet-talk as much as the next three-year-old. What stands out in my mind about this visit is that they had invented a truly unique expletive that sent them into peals of laughter every time it was uttered:

Poopy eyeball.

There was something particularly irreverent about the combination of naughty word “poop” with the inherently goofy word “eyeball” that made the phrase worth repeating over and over and over again.

Needless to say, it left an impression. And twenty-five years later, I found myself uttering it in a moment of playful toilet banter with Sophie. Mind you, it’s not something I said more than once or twice, but Sophie immediately found it to have lexical appeal.

“Poopy eyeball?” she said grinning broadly, her own eyes rolling in her head with excitement.

I rue the moment it passed my lips. Sophie manages to work it into every conversation we have. Apparently, it’s a noun, a verb, an adjective, and an exclamation. As in, “Poopy eyeball! I poopy eyeball on my poopy eyeball. It’s very poopy eyeball.”

Despite my determination not to “limit” her toilet talk and to kill it with permissiveness, I’ve had to enact the rule: no toilet talk while we’re eating. It’s really annoying to dine with someone who feels compelled to repeatedly drop the phrase “poopy eyeball,” the way teenagers pepper their sentences with, “like.” My rule has been poorly observed.

Thus, I’ve resorted to more desperate measures. I tried super-saturating her in the car one afternoon, saying “poopy eyeball” in response to everything she said.

She thought it was hilarious.

Today, for the first time, I saw signs of her weakening. After her nap, in a moment of extreme crankiness, I responded to her request to watch Mary Poppins with, “Poopy Eyeball.”

“STOP IT MOMMY!”

Oh yeah. Take that. In your eyeball, baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I love it. This made me laugh. It reminded me of my childhood with my brother who is six years younger than me would call things and end them with "head." "motorcycle-head", "diaper-head", "bean-head", "poopy-head", anything and everything ended with "head." Oh how irritating it was, but now as I think back, it makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. Out of sheer bordem I googled the phrase 'poopy eyeball' because my now 10 year old son used to say it at the dinner table when he was 3, driving his older and reserved sister crazy! I had never heard it before he said it. He would say, "trash, garbage....POOPY EYEBALL!" So now, its a family phrase. If someone says trash, undoubtly another says garbage adn then we all exclaim poopy eyeball! Its so funny to think others have had to suffer through this phase.